This recipe is ideal for using up leftover cooked potatoes. It tastes fantastic warm but it’s even better the next day. It’s also great for a picnic or for the lunch-box because it doesn’t crumble or fall apart.
Serves 6 easily (with leftovers)
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 3 medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cooked and sliced thinly
- Half a red pepper, finely diced
- 10 eggs, preferably free range
- Olive oil for frying
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Take a large frying pan, add the olive oil and gently fry the onions on a low heat.
- When the onions have softened, add the red pepper and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Keep the heat low while you break the eggs into a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the eggs to the contents of the frying pan, mix thoroughly but try to avoid breaking up the potatoes.
- Keeping the heat low, cook until the surface of the omelette has set. Turn your grill to a medium heat and brown the top of the omelette.
This omelette is delicious served with a crisp green salad and some crunchy fresh bread.
The beauty of this omelette is its versatility. Try adding different veg such as frozen peas or fried mushrooms. Alternatively, try adding a handful of grated cheddar to the whisked eggs and some chopped fresh herbs such as basil or chives.
Do you have any omelette ideas or healthy egg recipes to share with us? Feel free to use the comments box below.