Muesli is a healthy breakfast that is easy to make – a great addition to a balanced diet. Use our simple recipe to get you started and add your own favourite ingredients to give it some extra zing. For more ideas, see our article on muesli.
Time to prepare: 15 minutes.
No cooking involved.
- 500g porridge oats
- 300g dried fruit (e.g. apricots, raisins, cranberries)
- 200g nuts (e.g. walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds)
- 200g cereal (e.g. wheat flakes, barley flakes, rye flakes)
- 10 tbsp of seeds (e.g. sunflower seed, linseed, pumpkin seed)
All these quantities are guidelines – add more or less of your favourite ingredients. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
- Pour the oats into a large bowl
- Chop up the bigger dried fruit as well as the larger nuts
- Gradually stir the dried fruit into the oats to avoid it all sticking together
- Add the chopped nuts to the oat mixture or for extra flavour toast them for a few minutes in a dry frying pan and then add them to the mix
- Finish by adding the cereal and seeds
- Keep the finished muesli in a large airtight plastic cereal container or Kilner jar
Try serving muesli with grated apple, fresh berries, natural yoghurt or a squeeze of honey. Muesli is usually served with milk – in cold weather try warming the milk. If you’re feeling adventurous try it with apple juice instead of milk.