The game of hopscotch has been played by children for hundreds of years. It is still popular today and different versions are played all over the world.
For those who don’t know how to play (or don’t remember!) here’s a quick guide to basic hopscotch. To play hopscotch all you need is some chalk and a small marker e.g. a pebble.
- Use the chalk to draw out a set of boxes with the numbers 1 to 10 in them
- Throw the pebble into box number 1
- Hop over the box with the pebble in it and make your way to box 10 (where you can stand on both feet for a minute)
- Make your way back to box 1 and pick up your pebble when you get there
- Repeat the same steps for each number until you have reached 10!
- If you lose your balance or step on a line you have to start your turn again
You can try different numbers of boxes and different jumping styles when playing hopscotch. For example, you can have boxes side by side that are straddled instead of hopped on individually.
If you’re at the beach, you can use a stick to draw the boxes and numbers into the sand!