This is a great family recipe that is very easy to make and tastier than any jar of pasta sauce you would buy. By chopping the veggies finely you can “hide” them in the sauce satisfying even the fussiest of eaters.
Serves at least 8
Preparation time: approx 20 min
Cooking time: approx 1 hour
- 1 large glug of olive oil
- 4 medium onions
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 large red pepper
- 250 g mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 450 g of minced beef steak
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 carton of passata
- 1 tube/tin of tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons of oregano or Italian dried herbs
- Chop all your vegetables.
- Get out a large saucepan and pour in the olive oil. Heat the oil gently and fry the onions until soft.
- Add the carrots and fry briefly. Add the rest of the veg and fry gently until soft.
- Add the mince to the veg and fry until it’s evenly browned.
- Add the tomato purée into the ingredients and mix gently.
- Add the herbs, passata and tins of chopped tomatoes and simmer for 40 min.
Serve with the pasta of your choice.
Try using different shaped or coloured pasta. Whole wheat pasta has a great texture and taste, it is also higher in fibre than regular pasta.
This recipe makes a substantial amount of bolognese – try freezing half of the cooked sauce and use it later in the week when you are stuck for time.
Make this your own signature dish by using different veggies or adding fresh, chopped herbs or lamb mince instead of beef.
Does your family have a favourite pasta sauce recipe? Why not share it with us in the comments box below.